Background

May 26, 2010

Pomp and Circumstance

Oh yeah, I graduated!

On May 8th, 2010 I walked up to the stage and received the honor of graduating with a Bachelors of Science - Agribusiness: Horticulture, and a minor in Business Administration.

Whew!

It was a pretty much a blurry/amazing day. Let's start from the beginning!

I started going to ISU on August 17th, 2006 and moved into Walker Hall with my high school friend/roommate, Shannon....

Ok, that is sort of far back, huh? Let's go ahead and get to the actual DAY of graduation and getting ready to move out.

My parents and grandparents drove down to Normal on Friday afternoon. Shannon and I woke up early to finish packing and cleaning. The plan was to move all of our stuff out Friday night, but still sleep in the residence hall Friday night to Saturday. Shannon's dad came around the same time to do the same for her. Within an hour, our room was cleaned out except for bedding, graduation clothes, and the TV so we could watch our last favorite TV show together. Talk about a crazy looking room! But here are a few pictures with how it looked before we got it cleared out.

Mass craziness on my side of the room!

Shannon clearing out her closet and packing up boxes!

Friday night we had dinner with my grandparents, parents, Shannon's dad, and her grandma. It was quite the crowd! After dinner, Shannon and I decided to be the ones to go pick up my brother from the U of I train station. We had a fun ride, bonding, and talking about it being the end of the end. Oh, and we may have gotten a liiiiittlleeee lost trying to find the train station... hehe oops! The three of us drove back to Normal and had some fun telling stories and catching up. Shannon, Doug, and I usually have a lot of fun together, so it was great!

We dropped Doug off at the hotel with my parents and Shannon and I headed back to our room. But we just couldn't end our night quite that way! We decided to pick up a few of our good friends and go on a legendary "Shannon and Amy Graveyard Drive." We had told them a bit about it and they didn't believe how fun it is.

**Ok, let's pause here. I'm sure there are a few people who think we are creepy and crazy. We know. But we accidentally drove into a graveyard last fall and we go back when we're bored and need a good scare. This cemetery is the Bloomington historical center and many of the headstones are people who have buildings at ISU named after them. We don't get out of the car or do anything weird. Just be scared and have fun**

We ended up driving around our cemetery for over an hour, had a few good screams, and convinced Angel and Amelia that we aren't totally crazy. It was so fun to laugh, scream, and share one of our favorite random things to do with two people who will be at ISU next year. I wonder if they will ever go back...?

Well, that little field trip got Shannon and I home around 12:30am. We showered, painted nails, watched some TV, and got all jittery. It was our last night! Unbelievable!!!!! Early Saturday morning, Shannon's dad brings us breakfast (how awesome!!) and we got ready for graduation. She left with her family to go back to the hotel and hang out before her ceremony at 7pm.

My ceremony was at 12:30pm. My family met me at my residence hall, moved the rest of my stuff out, and I checked Shannon and I out... for good and for ever. To not cry, I focused on the rest of the afternoon!

We drove over to the arena, where my college was graduating. I studied in the College of Applied Sciences and Technology and we are the 2nd biggest college! I went to check in and my family went for seats. For over an hour, I waited with people from my department and college for the ceremony to start. Talk about nerve wracking... and warm!! Before long, we were asked to line up and get ready to march in.

Something awesome with being an agriculture major - we were first. :) So I was near the front of the ceremony and had a pretty good seat! Want to see some pictures? There's quite a few of them!

Marching into the arena, can you see me??

Me! Sitting down after marching in. I could see my dad, brother, and Shannon from my seat!

Walking up to the stage!

That's me, shaking the department chair's hand!

After getting my diploma cover, the VP of Student Affairs pulled me aside and gave me a big hug. It was amazing and touching and it made me cry!!! I was the only one in the ceremony!

That's me shaking the hand of the president of the university! (Guy in red!)

I did it! I got up to the stage, shook appropriate hands, and sat down without falling!!! Haha, or more importantly, I did it - I graduated from four years of college at ISU. What a great four years!!! Since this post is meaty, I will post pictures from dinner and with family later! I am so excited!!!!!

Now, to find a job.... ;-)

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yah! You did it! What special memories about your graduation day.

Uncle Ed said...

Congrats Amy!