Background

May 20, 2010

End of ARH Events

Even though my term has come to an end, that doesn't mean the fun ended! There were QUITE a few events that our administration had planned and were required to fulfill before we could be "done" for good.

Random Acts of Homosexuality and Day of Silence
Nicole, our outgoing RA Liaison, and ARH have been putting on a program to honor Day of Silence and the LGBTQ community. This year we had a two day event, the first a program called "Random Acts of Homosexuality" and another called "Day of Silence" Here are some pictures!

During Random Acts, we set up a spot in our largest residence hall and had a group of volunteers just hang out and do random things. Some of us are straight, some of us are gay, some of us are bisexual. But can you tell when we are hanging out?

Here is a shot of our group playing a heated game of Uno! Can you spot who is gay in this picture?

Playing Uno was getting REALLY intense! But the point was to raise awareness that we are all human! We attracted a LOT of attention and it was GREAT!

On Wednesday, we met up again and passed out materials for the Day of Silence on Friday. We had hundreds of free t-shirts, thousands of free buttons, and informational papers

It wasn't long before all the t-shirts were gone and we just had buttons left! It was so cool to know we gave out EVERY t-shirt and most of the buttons. On Friday, the National Day of Silence, we saw hundreds of people wearing buttons and t-shirts that we passed out!!

Relay for Life
For three years at ISU, I have participated in Relay for Life, and in high school, I walked as well. It is such a powerful event and I love sharing it with people at school who want to make a difference as well. There are just TOO many people in my life who have been affected directly or indirectly!

This is the survivor lap and they release the balloons to signify releasing the stresses of cancer! This was so cool to watch!

This was the ARH Relay for Life team... what a FUN group to walk with all night!

One of my favorite parts is the Luminaria lap. Bags just like this can be purchased for people who have survived, who are fighting, or who lost the fight against cancer. The bags are set up around the perimeter of the event and glow sticks are placed inside. It's the most powerful hour ever!

The big hope sign that sits on the quad. I purchased a pinwheel for one of our family friends who is currently fighting his fight!


Student Involvement Center Awards
Each spring, the Student Involvement Center has an awards ceremony to recognize Registered Student Organizations and individuals for their service during the year. ARH decided to put in a few programs for consideration for awards and a few individuals from ARH were also nominated for awards! It was really exciting and my last award ceremony as an undergrad!

As many of you know, this is VP of Student Affairs, Steve Adams... one of my favorite people! He said some nice words at the ceremony.

Angel won First Year Student and he is apart of ARH! We were SOOOO proud!

There is a group of people who are selected to be in the category of "Who's Who" and its a nation wide recognition. There may be someone you recognize all the way to the left in the blue ;-)

This is a shot of all the award winners from the day! The three people standing in the back row all the way to the right are ARH people. :D

This huge group of people represents the four organizations that organized and planned an event called Pig Out with the Prez. I was on the planning committee with three other people this year! We won collaborative program of the year!!! Oh - and I am standing next to the ISU President. Booya! Haha!

Here are the two awards we won for our programs: Suicide Prevention Awareness and Pig Out with the President... and they're hanging out in our award corner of the ARH office! So proud!!!

Earth Day
One of the events that the ARH sustainability chair and his committee planned before our term was over was an Earth Day reception. It was sort of a kick off to Earth Day and it featured a guest speaker, yummy organic (and non organic for picky people) food, and booths from "green" student groups on campus. It was fun and the guest speaker was really funny!

People such as the ISU sustainability coordinator, the ARH sustainability chair, and others spoke to greet people to the event

The centerpieces. Ok, obviously they are not amazing or anything... but my ARH friends understand why I took a picture of them. I did pick them out and help with them! Not quite my taste tho! :P

The guy on the left is the guest speaker. He was HILARIOUS! I basically developed a huge crush on him. You should see the amount of pictures I took. I am so creepy! I heard he's single...

The speaker, Chad, is known for cleaning up rivers from garbage and other pollutants, and he is also a big advocate of making the world greener. He presented ISU with a free Oak Tree. I really DO love this guy! The man on the left is the head of grounds, guy in the middle ARH's sustainability chair, and then, of course, Chad.

Something that is also AWESOME (Dad, that was for you) was he brought 100 free TREES to give out to people. I was SO EXCITED. Shannon and I each took one (and somehow hers ended up coming home with me!). They are Eastern Redbuds. Next goal: convincing my dad to let me plant in the backyard. The other tree went to Stephanie for her new house with Adam. I cant wait to help them plan their landscaping!

Talk about a busy end, even while I am not in the organization anymore! It was definitely fun going to programs... and even more fun not to have to plan them or be worried about them. :) I got to see the other side of things for once, it was pretty cool. I am proud of ARH for what we were able to accomplish, even during a busy time of transition. These memories will stick out to me as much as the past two years have!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Oh my goodness...what are you going to do with yourself now that you have time to breathe???