Background

December 11, 2010

Thanksgiving in Ohio

Incase you didn't know, my mom's parents live in Ohio. When Doug and I were younger, we used to go to visit pretty often. But as we have gotten older and have gone to college, it's been harder and harder to travel out there. Luckily, we were able to get it together and go during Doug and my Thanksgiving breaks!!! We went for the first half of the week, came home, and celebrated the second half of the week with my dad's side. Talk about a sweet deal!

It was nice to hang out with my grandparents, catch up, and eat veryyyy tasty food. :) One of the most fun things we did was right at the end of the weekend. Grandma wanted to document some of the beautiful heirlooms that she has in her house. It's funny, Doug and I have definitely taken them for granted - they have always been on those shelves for our hour whole life! But this week, we got to actually learn where they came from!


The first item my grandma wanted documented was this beautiful pocket watch. Of course Doug was instantly attracted to it, he has a thing for them. It's my great-great grandfathers! (Sorry! I dont know why it uploaded sideways!)

Another one of my favorite items was this coffee pot and cup set. It has always sat on my grandma's kitchen shelf and I have admired the colors and beauty of it. It was my great-great grandmother's set!

This hot chocolate pot and sugar and creamer set were sitting on a kitchen shelf for years too! I love how beautiful they are! Both were my great grandmother's.

Doug found these in a box that both my grandparents forgot about. They are German lighters my grandpa brought home from the war! He LOVES them and has basically a new addiction haha.

Obviously I am very partial to the vases and such!! But I loved how beautiful this one is too! My grandparents bought it in Texas.

Doug and I sleep in the basement when we visit... and I guess for YEARS he has been eyeing these pipes my grandpa kept by our beds. He brought them up and learned that my grandpa bought them during the war and sent them to his father.

Finally, a picture of us hanging out in the living room, going through more lighters my grandpa collected over the years. It was a really fun night of learning about family, hearing about the war, and treasuring the items we have taken for granted for 22 years!

No comments: