Background

December 23, 2010

Oh yeah, I'm a supervisior

Part of my job that I really wasn't sure how well I'd do is being a supervisor. Let's face it - it makes me cry when people are mad at me. And this job basically makes people hate me all day long. Needless to say, I've gotten a little thicker skin since I've been on the job!

Yes, I discipline my employees when they do things wrong. I also call them into my office to lay down the business when they disappoint me. And yes, I also have sent a few of my very own scathing emails. I currently have 10 on probation.

Come on! I've got 50 of these people to look after 7 days of the week, 18 hours a day. There are 31 of them working the front desks, 4 of them in the mail room, 14 in the fitness center, and 1 as my office assistant. I can only be their friend for so long....

Yes, there are about 5 of them that are older than me. Awkward, yes. Especially when I hold 1:1 meetings and one of them tells me about her kids. *gulp* Excuse me while I go back and watch reruns of the Nanny tonight like an adult. haha.

Regardless, something I do try my hardest to do is to understand them and give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm proud to say that I have not needed to fire anyone. Development is a HUGE thing for me... and while some days I want to wring necks for not signing out packages or verifying key deliveries... I'd get fired for that. hahaha, jk jk jk.

But really, I spend EACH day having a conversation with whomever is working. How are classes going? How's your day? Busy week? Many of them have opened up to me and I learn ALLLLL sorts of things. (Oh, you and your bf are fighting because he leaves the bathroom door open, huh? Interesting...) Deep down, even though they drive me nuts, I know that while I teach them, they are teaching me, too. And I do appreciate how hard they work. So for the holidays this year, I decided to do something for them.


While I was shopping, I decided on picking up little bags and filling them! In theory, this seemed adorable! I bought a bag of EACH kind of Hershey's kisses, a bag of variety chocolates, sparkly ornaments, and candy canes. Before long, I realized that 50 bags was a tid bit insane! Luckily, with all of the goods, they weren't too empty! I stapled them shut to avoid snoops going in and stealing chocolate from other people. It made me REALLY happy to deliver them on the first day of finals week. I sent an email out for everyone to grab a bag.

It didn't take long for me to get "thank you" texts, emails, and hugs that day. It was amazing! It made me feel even better. They said things like, "we've never gotten anything like this before" or "you did this for US?" I hope they know while sometimes I have to be the bad guy, I do appreciate them!

Also... the plastic bag next to the box of bags has candy canes for each of the 38 RAs in south. I attached a little tag that said, "Thanks for a great semester. I "cane" done it without you!" Bahaha, I crack myself up. But really, many of them thanked me for the thought! I've learned a ton from them, too.

So, I was feeling pretty good for making people smile, but then something caught MY attention on Thursday of finals...


I was working late in my office when I received a call from the desk... they needed me to come out for something. Grrr... I am technically off for the day! I went out there and 3 of them were holding this plant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I almost cried! They did some sneaky work and figured out what plants I like and surprised me with it! How perfect.. an orange plant!!! I was seriously speechless... but then they also gave me this...


An adorable card!!! It's funny, I saw one of the desk managers making it that day, but didn't think anything of it... she is always doing something crafty!


And how CUTE is the inside? They signed their names and added little messages. I was floored.


I guess deep down, they don't all despise my being! :P I know I'm not well liked overall because of the policies I force them to follow, but it's good to know there are a good bunch who appreciate ME and think I'm a cool boss. :) I hung the card up in my office to remind me that even though I push them, bug them, and sometimes discipline them.... there are that bunch that know why I do it. :) What a great holiday surprise!!! :D

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

What a great example of how nice it is to make other people feel good! And the pay it forward concept....they paid it right back!