Background

October 20, 2009

Homecoming!

Whew! Homecoming at ISU was last week - October 19-25th... what an exhausting week!

Back in the fall of 2008, I was asked to serve on the Student Subcommittee for Homecoming. I didn't really know what I was actually signed up to do. When I got to my first meeting, I realized that I am one of 10 voices of the students that is directly linked to the Steering Committee of Homecoming! How exciting!

Even though sometimes these meetings can be annoying during a busy time, I am lucky to be serving on it. I started planning this year's Homecoming last November - where we picked the theme "Rock the Red!"

Beyond serving on the Student Subcommittee for Homecoming, I was also asked to be a judge for Homecoming Court, since I served on it last year. That was REALLY an honor for me! Along with two other people, we interviewed 22 hopefuls for court over three days. I spent about 13 hours in that room, asking the same 7 questions. Haha, it was exhausting, but I would definitely do it again. The worst part was wait! I was emailed the results and the winners and had to wait 5 days before I could talk about it!!!

ARH does a lot with Homecoming as well. This year's executive board voted to partake in all of the activities that were going on. Talk about a BUSY week!

Monday
Monday serves as the kick of Homecoming. This wasn't an "event" that ARH signed up to participate in, but many of us wanted to go and see who court would end up being.
Me with Ryan, a good friend, on Monday's Kick Off. He later won King at the end of the week. :)

Tuesday
Tuesday was the "Redbird Rumble" Team Competition. Last year on court I had to demonstrate the games, but this year ARH made a team! It was seriously a blast! There was a tug of war, a 3 legged race, and a fruit pass.

The ARH team and West Campus team sitting together in the bleachers during the competitions!

Shannon and Nicole tied together for the 3-legged race

The ARH team laying along the Redbird head on the field! What a great pic :)

Wednesday
On Wednesday, there was a carnival that any registered student organization could participate in. ARH had a table, brought bag sets, and enjoyed the carnival atmosphere created in the Student center.

The ARH table at the carnival, near the bungee run. It's hard to tell, but we had lights on our table to attract attention!! :)

A shot of the carnival in our student center - there was food, music, tables, henna, air brush, pictures... and much more! ALL FREE!

For some reason, we decided to wrap Jake in lights and call him the "Human Torch" since our logo is a torch. He was a great sport - but we really need to stop torturing him with our "brilliant ideas"

Thursday
On Thursday, somehow, ARH hosted a Rockband Tournament in the Residence Halls. We actually did not create this idea or want to do it, but AMY cant say no when people ask for help. So I offered to help, and the other organization bailed out at the last minute. We pulled it off, but there was MUCH learned that night.

A quick pic of some people playing in the Southside area!

Friday
Friday is full of traditional events: Tip Off, Torchlight Parade, Hoopfest, Pep Rally, Bonfire, and a Live Band.

Most of the ARH group getting ready for the Torchlight Parade. It's a great tradition here at ISU!

Shannon and I posing with Reggie. He is so awesome! This picture made it on the website, too ;-)

The group at Hoopfest, enjoying some good opening basketball season action!

Saturday
Saturday is our Homecoming Parade and football game!

The group stepping off at the parade with our banner! You can tell how cold it was that morning! :-P

Shannon and Robert painted our faces before the football game, and Shannon did GREAT with the Redbirds! Many of us wanted one. :)

During the entire week, I kept praying that it would be over.... there was a LOT of planning, organizing, and running around that we all did that week. But the second that Shannon and I woke up from our 12 hours of sleep on Sunday, I realized this was my last undergrad homecoming. I am a little sad about it now. :( It has been a great 3 years associated with ARH in Homecoming, and this year was absolutely the best! :)

1 comment:

Erin said...

AMY! I absolutely love this entry and reading about your life at ISU. I'm just so sad I never got to come visit you at school! Hope homecoming was great!