Background

November 2, 2011

End of the season

Did you notice the chill in the air? Fall is here and winter is just around the corner! While I LOVE LOVE LOVE summer, I am actually excited for the change in the season and for the holidays to start. I was really able to enjoy summer this year between my job and extra activities at Stephanie's, unlike previous years. So I was pretty satisfied. :)

Speaking of my job... if you recall from before, I worked for the Forest Preserve this summer. It was amazing and I totally loved it! See the post here. However, it was only seasonal and was due to end in November. In September, I reluctantly started the job search. I wanted to wait as long as I could because I loved my job so much and didn't want to leave. But alas, I had to start.

I applied to a handful of places one night and just plowed through them. It was not fun! I don't enjoy job searching, but I knew I needed to get started so I wasn't unemployed for the holidays! After a few weeks, I received three phone calls to schedule interviews. How exciting!

For one job, I had to take a typing test to be considered. Needless to say, I rocked it and was moved to the next stage of the interview process. For another job, I had to schedule and attend a 4 hour interview. And for the third, I immediately turned it down because it was only part-time.

And (drum roll) I was offered the job that I attended a four hour interview for! YAY! Job offers are exciting!!! After some consideration, I accepted the job and started on October 17th. I'm starting my third week this week. I am currently working for Ball Horticultural. Have you heard of it? Check out their website here.
 It's basically awesome! Here are a few things Ball is known for:

The wave petunia. Ball created it!

Fiesta Double Impatiens


Dazzler Impatiens
I work with a breeder and carry out pollinations that she wants to see in order to create or fine tune a plant. We could be working on the color, the habit, or a combination of the two. I spend many hours a week pollinating plants based on my breeder's decisions. I personally am working on 2 groups of petunias and helping another technician with Gaillardia (see upcoming Foliage Friday). It's really interesting and I have A TON left to learn.

I want to share everything I'm doing and what colors and shades and stuff we're working on, but I signed a confidentiality agreement and I'm not 100% sure what I'm allowed to say and not! So I'm going to stay on the safe side and not blabber too much. :)

Here goes another adventure!!! What do you think? Do you have any questions?

No comments: