Background

November 8, 2011

Off to the Big Apple

For whatever reason, Erin and I started planning my second New York trip right after my first one ended. We talked about doing the things we didn't have time for and redoing some of the things we did the first time. Suddenly, the joking planning turned into the real thing! I researched and booked my own flight and flew out to see Erin one last time on October 13th for the weekend. It was AMAZING! Erin is such a wonderful host and I got to do so many new things again this time!

Please enjoy the photo journey of my trip!

This luggage check ticket symbolizes my travels to the Bronx. Aka - everything that could go wrong, did. First, my flight was delayed 45 minutes leaving Chicago because of rain in New York. And then my bag was checked at the gate because the flight was full and there was no overhead space left. Then, when I landed, I went to get on a bus through Queens to Harlem. Except the I realized the bus doesn't take dollars, only quarters... and guess who didn't have quarters? This girl! So I ran to a metro machine and got a card, just in time to catch the bus. Oh, it's not over yet. THEN, I managed to miss the stop I was supposed to get off at in Harlem. When I realized it, I jumped off and booked it 6 blocks through Harlem back to the Metro North to ride to the Bronx. Luckily, nothing went wrong with the train ride to the Bronx and I met Erin outside! Whew!


After my epic traveling experience, I told Erin that I needed a drink. She had the perfect place to go! We went to Michaelangelos right down from her apartment and enjoyed a small pizza and some delicious wine! We took this picture in front of $10,00 alcohol. No pressure not to fall into it!

 
We spent the night talking and catching up and planning our weekend. The next morning we went to Polombos, my new favorite place, to have their wonderful eggels. Even though it took the waiters awhile to get our order right.... it was SO worth it!

After our wonderful breakfast, we went over to the Botanic Gardens. This was one of the things we wanted to be sure to do together this time. It was raining, but we were determined!

There was a conservatory and we spend a bunch of time in there looking at their feature exhibit - the mums! This is Erin enjoying some huge ones!

I taught Erin all about peppers and capsicum.

This is a shot entering the mum display. Amazing color!

Erin heard that lily pad garden was in full bloom so we definitely decided to check it out. It was beautiful and filled with gorgeous lilies!

I came up with the genius idea to take a picture with my auto timer function with Erin across the lily pond


Before starting our day, we decided to take a picture in our new pose. Did you know this is in? Haha.

We went to the garment district to find some lace that matches the lace on Erin's mom's wedding dress. It was a very daunting task!

We found a place that had a whole upstairs full of lace. We found some possibilities!

We stopped in Central Park to enjoy some of the fall colors but were disappointed to see none. :( So instead we bought a waffle from a cart vendor and enjoyed it while doing a crossword. Love!

THIS is my ultimate favorite picture of us now. So adorable. <3

Between Central Park and this picture, we played around in Manhattan, pretended we were really rich, pretended we wanted to adopt a dog from a shelter, and found this sushi place. Then we enjoyed some AMAZING sushi in Manhattan. So so worth it!

After sushi we went to see one of Erin's classmates sing at a bar in Manhattan. She is from South Africa and did an amazing job. We enjoyed some mango martinis during the night. Yum yum!

What did you think of my recent trip to New York? Keep an eye on Erin's blog to see her rendition and her pictures of the trip!

No comments: