Background

September 26, 2009

ARH - Association of Residence Halls

My big activity here at school is my work in ARH - the Association of Residence Halls. I am the Vice President and have been in this position for going on my second year! I was elected in April of my Sophomore year. I was re-elected in March of my junior year. Now, here I am, a big bad senior in the residence halls!

But I absolutely love it!!! It's really hard to explain to people what I do because a lot of the time, I do everything possible! I thought I'd post a few pictures of what we have done so far this year. :)

Move-In Fall 2009
As VP, I direct the Move-In of all of the incoming freshman! (And this year, I basically coordinated the whole thing since they extended my service to Monday, Tuesday, and Friday!) I have a blast and I will truly miss working with all of the 150 student volunteers, hundreds of Housing staff members, and incoming students when I graduate. This was my second year being Director.

This is East Campus during a peak time. Lines and lines and more lines!


This is after day 1 of the freshman move-in... My advisor (Kim), Shannon (my roommate), and Glenn (The assistant Move-In Director) stay and count the money and prepare for day 2 with me. I am so grateful for how late they stay with me!! (The day starts at 6am and ends at 11pm!)

Last year Glenn was jealous I got a super cute picture with our advisor on the golf carts. So it was his turn! :) Don't you love our rockin' Move-In t-shirts? Shannon designed them!

We do more than ride in golf carts and count money! We coordinate all 4 areas of campus. This picture is of Glenn and me and our 10 foot long elevator sign. The professional one that I ordered was stolen by some smarty-pants. :(

ARH Government and Unity Retreat
Right after Move-In, Glenn plans a retreat for all of the ARH general assembly. This year, almost 50 people came out to Grand Bear Lodge to learn what ARH does and how they can be a part of it!

This is a shot of the cabin cluster we rented for the weekend. They were very cozy and slept about 18 people each!!

This is a shot of some of the workshops/programs we do during the weekend. They spend a lot of time learning from us, and then we play at a water park before we leave :)


I used the Picnik application on facebook to make this picture. It was a GREAT retreat and I know when I do graduate, ARH will be left in great hands. :) This was a great group of student leaders.

Pig Out
Starting as soon as the school year started, I sat on a commitee to plan an event called "Pig Out with the Prez." This basically entails 4 of ISU's largest organizations providing free food, music, and entertainment for the ISU student body.... as well as inviting the President, Dr. Bowman!

This is a picture of the ARH executive board present at the event posing with Dr. Bowman. He really is a celebrity on campus! Shannon and Nicole said they didn't want to shower because he touched their arms!! (PS, I know I look like a pirate!)

One of the forms of entertainment was this large, blow-up chair. The exec board that was there at the time decided we were going to jump on it and get a picture. This was a goofy one, but this group of people is so fun!!!! I think we also were not supposed to have that many people on the chair at once....


If you didn't know, Shannon has been my roommate for going on 4 years, and she serves as the Secretary of ARH. (And does a damn good job!!) We do everything together, but our positions require a lot of different dedication. I am always so glad she is there and supports me!!

As the year goes, I'll try to update you on more of what ARH does! Hopefully we'll have a great year!!!