Background

September 22, 2011

Down on the farm

I think I've mentioned before one of my favorite things about being back at home is being close to the farm. I missed it a lot while I was at school and work for the past 5 years. Now I get to be a morning feeder and I absolutely love being able to hang out with the livestock and get dirty. I actually don't mind mucking manure! :) Along the way, I like to snap some pictures with my phone because the animals do some funny things, hehe.

This was the first picture I took this summer. It was approximately 90 degrees at 8am and Otto, our steer, came over to the spicket to get a drink and cool off! I thought it was hilarious and adorable!



After a few weeks of getting back into the habit of feeding, I volunteered to milk as well. I mean, I was going to be there anyway! This is Heidi, our milking shorthorn. She is a sweetheart and VERY patient!!!

I think Otto is just one of the cutest cows ever. He likes to follow me around when I'm out in the paddocks! Be careful, he's a licker!



One morning, Erin asked me for a picture of the ducks and I joked around with her and sent her a picture of "cow butts." Hehe. Ducks. Cow butts. They rhyme! It made me laugh.
 
This is an unflattering picture of our new heifer, Bertha. She's a little shy and wont let me get near her face, so I had to settle with a shot of her back end!
The same time we received Bertha, we also got 3 more pigs. I snapped a pig of the small pink one. We haven't had pink pigs in so long!

This is another one of the new pigs. I giggled because she immediately jumped into her food trough to snarf down the food I dumped in.

This pig is now our veteran pig (we just recently cleaned house and purchased new ones) at just a year old, and she has only been here for a month or two, but she is wonderful! I think she is pretty sweet!

And to end this picture post of cute animals, here is a shot of some pig butts. Aren't animals butts so cute?

Next time I'm at the farm, I'll try to get some pictures of our horses and fowl. I just love being there and am really lucky to get to go back to help out! Piggies are my favorite. :)

No comments: